7.23.2007

Harry Potter - no spoilers

We are doing the same thing for this HP release as we have for the last two. I got the book on Saturday in the mail (I don't trust people at the bookstores not to spoil it) and read all weekend. I finished yesterday and started rereading the book out loud to B. So any discussion of details will have to wait until he is finished too.

All in all, I thought the book was great. All the loose ends were tied up very neatly in a very satisfying manner. The thing I liked best is how Rowling managed to take several of the characters that started out as black or white caricatures and flesh them out. Some of the bad guys weren't so bad and some of the good guys weren't so good. A lot of grey exists now where there was none in the earlier books.

The only thing I didn't like is the epilogue. I would prefer to use my imagination, rather than have everything so defined. I get the feeling that after Rowling ended the book, her publishers or someone else convinced her to add on the "where are they now" epilogue. Dumb.

No comments: