12.29.2006

Frustration

Right now, I'm technically still on vacation. Since we moved into this house, I have not taken any vacation time over a day that did not involve driving across the country to visit people. So this Christmas break was supposed to be my chance to relax, work on my house projects, and get centered again. I took off 10 days. Which promptly got whittled down to 4, in order to visit family on opposite sides of the state. And now I sit in front of my laptop, working. I have a conference call in a few hours. I am very dissatisfied with my work-life balance. These are the things I wanted to do on my vacation:

Work on tiling my kitchen floor
Work on painting one or more rooms
Organize my office
Work in my garden
Read some poetry
Read a book for longer than 10 minutes, uninterrupted
Walk my dogs in the greenbelt
Attempt to make some fancy pastries with Julia Child
Scan a bunch of pictures into the computer
Reflect on the past year and make plans for a much better next year

I feel like I am suffocating under the minutia of ordinary life. I think I am burned out. I just need a break, but I can't get one.

No comments: