9.12.2006

City Girl

I don't know if this is just my own craziness, or if most lifelong city dwellers feel like this, but the thought of actually growing a vegetable in a pot on my porch just seems unbelievable to me. I planted zucchini and squash seeds last week, and was amazed to see that the seeds look just like the seeds in the zucchinis and squashes that I get at the grocery store. I had absolutely no confidence that they would grow, because vegetables come from the store, not from dirt. But, to my amazement, there are things GROWING in the pot. But I still don't believe that I will ever get a vegetable out of all this.



*Update* Are you aware that zucchini flowers are edible and are said by many to taste better than the actual zucchini?

1 comment:

J said...

I feel exactly the same way. I want to stop people on the street and say, "Hey! If you PLANT SEEDS in the GROUND and WATER them, that they will GROW!?"

I even thought that maybe they would grow for other people, but not me.

Spouts are always a surprise and feel like a miracle.