11.07.2005


I am addicted to a drink called kombucha. It's a drink made by combining tea, sugar, and a "kombucha mushroom" (which is actually a colony of yeast and bacteria) and letting it ferment for several days. Sounds disgusting, yes? It is, at first. It smells and tastes a little like vinegar and tends to have sediment. People make all kinds of insane claims for this stuff. According to many people, there isn't anything that a daily dose of kombucha won't fix - including cancer, AIDS, and thinning hair. However, I have to admit that it makes me feel better when I drink it. Also, after a bottle or two, you start to crave the taste and the acidity of it. I'm not crazy enough to make the stuff myself, so I buy this brand, which is incredible. The only problem is that it is very hard to find. Many people at my work drink the stuff, so when we get a shipment in downstairs, it goes within a few hours. Including my store, I went to six different natural foods stores last week looking for it.

I suppose this hasn't been very persuasive, but if you get a chance, try it. I promise, it's good stuff. It will make you immortal.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I remember when this syuff made it to Oklahoma for the first time when I was in college. My room mate and I had these disgusting mushrooms growing in our refridgerator for months. I was just thinking about these the other day. Weird. Glad to see they have made it to the big time.
T