11.23.2005

My company recently started a non-profit organization called the Whole Planet Foundation. To make a long story short, I am handling the accounting for this organization, and therefore have been invited to a small lunch meeting today to meet the Director of an organization we are partnering with from Bangladesh. The CEO and CFO of my company will be at this lunch. Aside from me, the next lowest level person there will be a VP of Finance. There will be a total of only about 10 people there. To put it mildly, I am terrified. Aside from everything else, I know they are catering Indian food. I don't like curry, so I'm going to have to stick to hummus and samosas and hope no one notices. I'm afraid I will say something stupid, or trip over my heels (I only wear heels about once a year), or spill a drink on myself, or even worse, on someone else. I'm afraid of looking like I'm sucking up, and I'm also afraid of being completely quiet and forgettable. I almost wish I hadn't been invited. I keep telling myself that no one at the lunch will consider meeting me a momentous occasion, so why should I feel that way about them? But somehow it isn't working.

2 comments:

J said...

You know, they didn't invite you by accident.

They want you there.

That CEO and the whole (ha) organization sounds facinating. You can't go wrong with going to lunch and being yourself because you are good and smart.

Also, TP informs me that you didn't trip and fall when you walked down the aisle, so you'll be fine.

We believe in you for good reason.

Yea!

Steph said...

I came very close to tripping and falling when I walked down the aisle. Very close.

Thanks for believing in me.