2.27.2006

1000 Pages of Dickens

So finally, my long awaited (ha!) review of Bleak House:

Actually, I really don't have too much to say. If you enjoy Dickens, you'll enjoy this book. If you don't, you won't. As always, the minor characters were the most enjoyable: the Bagnet family were my favorites, with Mrs. Pardiggle, the Smallweeds, and Caddy Jellyby coming in close behind. I loved the absurdity of a character actually spotaneously combusting. Every plot twist can be seen miles ahead of time, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. In fact, it allowed me to focus more on the hints and foreshadowing that preceded each revelation.

I heard there was a TV movie being made with that X-Files woman as Lady Dedlock. Anyone know anything about this? When it's coming out? Is it BBC? A&E? Did I already miss it? When is it available on DVD? Why am I so lazy that I don't just look this up myself? I know B is anxiously looking forward to watching yet another TV miniseries based on a classic British novel.

p.s. for some reason, the blogger spellcheck insists that I should replace 'foreshadowing' with 'presidential'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's PBS, and if it's already aired, they will play it over and over. They simulcast BBC every night after 9 PM.