2.07.2006

Absurd Austin, Part I

Last Friday, I answered a Craigslist ad about a bicycle (I'm going to try to start riding my bike to work, as part of my ever increasing efforts to become a toefunk-loving, hippie-treehugger). I stopped by her house on my way home from work to check out the goods. She lives in the Zilker neighborhood near downtown, where all the houses are very cool, very unique, very expensive, etc. When she opened the door, the first thing I saw was a floppy puppy with huge paws. I dropped down to play with him, because that's the kind of rude person I am, and asked what his name was. "Grover Cleveland," she replied. I thought it was cute and laughed. She did not. Then I stood up and noticed that the walls of her living room were plastered with pictures of US presidents. Nixon was over the fireplace. Carter and Clinton were flanking him. Lincoln and FDR and George Washington were on what I guess was the 'Great Presidents' wall. The throw on the couch had a picture of Reagan. There was nothing in the room, aside from the furniture and the rug on the bare concrete floor that did not have something to do with a US president. Interesting. But she sold me a great bike for cheap.

I only wish I could have taken a picture of the walls without attracting attention...

No comments: