7.21.2006

Deer v. Me: The Continuing Saga

After the deer ate my hibiscus, they came back and ate my coreopsis. When they finished that, they ate my funny little tropical succulent thingies that I don't know the name of. Yesterday, I got mad. I bought some organic deer repellent spray, and a defiantly huge Texas Star hibiscus.


It was getting close to time to leave for my yoga class, but I wanted to spray everything first, since the deer come out in force in the evenings. I cannot even describe the smell of this stuff. It might help to mention that the first two ingredients are listed as "putrescent egg solids" and garlic. The bottle claims that humans cannot smell it after it dries, but that is an untruth. My hands stunk like the brimstone pits of hell. After I washed about five times, using things like baking soda, lemon juice, and even vinegar, I could still smell it. And then I had to go to yoga and practice alternate nostril breathing, which involves keeping a hand close to your nose. I was unable to get into the proper yoga state of mind.

However, as of this morning, my plants are intact, including my new hibiscus and the two new plumbago plants. I'm not sure if this is a victory for me or for the deer.

1 comment:

J said...

"My hands stunk like the brimstone pits of hell."

What a fabulous line.

Also, it's hard not to root for the deer, but I hope the stinky stuff works for you.