11.21.2006

Culture and stuff

B and I went to see Madame Butterfly last night. I love getting dressed up and going downtown like a grown-up.

This was my first opera, but not my last since I accidentally bought season tickets. Our seats were in the next to last balcony, so high up that it was a little bit scary walking around. I had a strange reaction to the show. On one hand, I've never been much interested in opera music, and an opera tends to be full of opera music. On the other hand, it was fascinating to know what they were actually saying. I never got bored of hearing a dramatic soprano belt out a beautiful Italian phrase, while the captions says something like "you must be hot after walking up that hill." I wish I had rented some opera glasses, both to get a better look at the set and also because then I could have pretended like I was in a movie about upper-crust British people.

Next up is Philip Glass' Waiting for the Barbarians, which appears to be very avant-garde and modern. I don't think I'm culturally competent enough to appreciate it, but it should be fun anyway.

2 comments:

Felix said...

I find it very cool that there's an avanty-gardy opera based on a book that I actually read.

Steph said...

Was it any good? Can you think of any passages that would make a good aria?