11.07.2006

A really boring post

I got a new gardening book in the mail yesterday. Until now, I have been buying books by Neil Sperry and Howard Garrett - good, basic gardening guides. Unfortunately, I discovered that those weren't basic enough. So I got a huge, all-in-one compendium of Gardening for Dummies. I swear to god, one of the first chapter headings was "Making plants grow, not die." That's more my speed.

Right after the baby died, I discovered that gardening has incredible healing powers. Just thinking about my flowers and plants makes me happy now. So I have been developing grandiose plans for our yard. Since I can't do a lot during the winter, I am going to study up in the Dummies book (and maybe get around to finishing tiling the kitchen). Then, sometime around February, I am going to rip up a good portion of our front yard, including a section of lawn, some really ugly boxwoods, three mystery bushes, and my accidental parsley garden and then design and plant a large-scale garden. I have other, longer-term plans also, but that project will do for now.

Tomorrow, maybe I will update on my vegetable garden experiment.

2 comments:

Stinkydog said...

I'm the only person I know who has ever killed a rosemary plant (I've actually killed five). And whenever I go to the plant section at Home Depot, Sam says I'm "trolling for victims". So, take heart, as long as I'm around, there will always be someone who's worse with plants. Good luck!

Steph said...

I killed a rosemary plant once. Granted, it was in a pot, not in the ground, but I killed it very thoroughly. :)