6.05.2007

Crazy

The FTC is filing a complaint to block Whole Foods' merger with Wild Oats. What a stupid thing - does anybody actually believe that WFM and Wild Oats will combine to block competition in the grocery market? Last I checked, I believe we have a combined market share of less than 5%.

The FTC is considering only the natural foods market, rather than the entire grocery market. This might have been valid several years ago, but even Wal-Mart sells organic now! And all the big grocery chains have organic lines that are doing phenomenally well.

Grrr, this makes me angry.

2 comments:

Stinkydog said...

My friends in Little Rock are very pissed about it too because they would much rather have Whole Foods than the Wild Oats they have now.

Steph said...

There's still hope - we're fighting it. I hope it goes through too - if it does, we will be pumping lots of capital into those older stores.

I have family in Arkansas too, so I would be very happy to have one there when I visit!