6.06.2007

Tacky

Yesterday, Austin-area Chipotle Burritos held a food drive. If you brought in a non-perishable food item, you would get a free burrito. Of course, B and I showed up last night with a grocery bag each to trade for our dinner. Unsurprisingly, there were lots of teenage and college-age kids with a single can each. I can't blame them - I remember a few times of eating nothing but Lipton rice bags for weeks on end and I would have kissed the feet of anyone who gave me a burrito in exchange (or married him...)

But I was a little surprised to see lots of well-off looking grown-up couples with their single can of cheap veggies each. If you can afford to drive to Chipotle Burrito in your Lexus SUV and your designer jeans, can't you afford to donate more than a single can of green beans to the food pantry? B disagrees, but I thought it was a little bit tacky. I am disappointed in my neighbors.

No comments: