6.27.2006

Not for the squeamish

1. The bad part

In the continuing cruel irony of this miserable event, my milk came in. Apparently, my body thinks I gave birth and have a new baby to feed. I woke up ravenous on Monday. I couldn't get enough food or enough water. I felt hot and flushed. Honestly, I thought I was having some kind of breakdown with weird, psychosomatic symptoms. And then I started to, um, leak. So now, I have just one more painful, physical reminder of what we have lost. I also have smelly cabbage leaves in my bra.

2. The good part

I have accidently made up a new recipe for some really comforting comfort food. I adapted it from a recipe in a cookbook that sucks too much for me to give it a link here.

Kind-of Homeade Chicken and Other Stuff Soup:

Rotisserie chicken (you know, the ones at the grocery store)
1 Qt chicken broth
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 handful of baby carrots, chopped
1-14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1-9 0z package of refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 zucchini, chopped
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
salt & pepper

1. Pull all the meat from the chicken and set aside. Separately, set aside the bones and skin.
2. Bring the chicken broth and 2 cups of water to a simmer.
3. Add the bones and skin from the rotisserie chicken and simmer for about 30 minutes
4. Strain the broth into a bowl and set aside
5. Heat the oil over med-high heat and then saute the onion and carrots for about 10 minutes
6. Add the broth, chicken meat, tomatoes, tortellini, and zucchini and bring to a boil
7. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes
8. Add cilantro and salt & pepper to taste
9. Serve topped with parmesan cheese (real parmesan, please. Not that Kraft, grated crap), and with a side of crusty bread.

Good for the soul.

No comments: