2.20.2007

Plans

When we bought our house, the front yard was very landscaped. It has some huge boxwood bushes at the front (ugly), Some overgrown nandina bushes in front of the windows (ugly and invasive), and an insane number of crepe myrtles (ugly).

I made plans to rip out all the ugly. I had this vague idea of a beautiful cottage garden, with drifts of purple coneflowers and sprays of purple fountain grass and mounds of plumbago.

The guys replacing our siding did a pretty good job of killing the ivy that was used as a groundcover in all of the beds. They also managed to trample most of the nandina to death. A few weeks ago, we hired a tree service to come and do some pruning for us. While they were there, they ripped out a bunch of the crepe myrtles and the ugly boxwoods.

Unfortunately, I found that the vague ideas in my head were no match for the shockingly bare, shockingly large patches of dirt left after the tree guys finished their work. Suddenly, the reality hit me that I needed to plant something coherent. The one bed that I attempted last year came out pretty well, except that all the colors and textures clashed. But it was hidden behind a big bush. My bare patches are right up on the curb for everyone to see.

So I called in an expert. Pam (who has a very cool blog) came over and calmed me down and promised a design sketch and a plant list within a few weeks. I was almost weak-kneed with relief. Now, if I can just rope B into helping me with all the digging, hoeing, planting, and mulching that is ahead of us, I should have a real live garden this year! Pictures coming soon.

(Also, notice our house changed colors? I'm so excited! I hated that blue and red!)

2 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

This should be interesting! I like my row of boxwoods, but they're softening a concrete foundation - yours were blocking the walk and covering those dramatic steps.

And it's cool that you met Pam.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Steph said...

Boxwoods can be pretty in the right place - my next door neighbors have a very attractive, curving, low hedge that runs along both sides of the path to their front door. But I agree, mine were doing nothing but making an already small yard feel even more cramped.