2.21.2007

Shocking

Is the word scrotum shocking? I don't find that it is a word I use frequently (or ever, now that I think about it), but it doesn't seem very offensive to me. It is the appropriate anatomical name for a part of the body, is it not? It is not a crude, offensive, slang term or nickname. So I guess I'm not understanding why a passel of school librarians are refusing to carry a copy of a (Newberry award winning) children's book that uses the term in a non-sexual way.

Since the book is for 9-12 year olds, the assumption must be that these children would not know that word. First, having ridden a public school bus for most of my childhood, I can guarantee that those kids know much more dangerous words than 'scrotum'. But second, why wouldn't a child of that age know the correct names of body parts? Am I missing something here?

Finally, I am eternally frustrated at adults that try to keep books like this away from kids. They are deluding themselves about what they can keep secret. Wouldn't it be better to have an open discussion?

4 comments:

Felix said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Felix said...

Here's what Neil Gaiman has to say about it.

I get the feeling that the list of labels is in some obscure way a parody of library subject headings.

(Second try posting the URL)

Annie in Austin said...

My husband brought this story to my attention - it belongs in the same category as the woman who wanted the Vagina Monologues changed to Hoohaa on the marquee.[I'm supposed to be cooking, so no spell check was done anywhere in that sentence.]

Maybe these librarians see their realm as an island where children can be kept insulated from real life? Then they'll also have to burn all the medical books and the dictionaries.

Annie

Steph said...

Just FYI: The "Hoohaa Monologues" made me giggle for a full five minutes. :)