7.11.2007

B is shuddering right now

I'm so excited! Argiopes are my favorite spider and I was very disappointed when I didn't have a single one last year. The only problem is that we will be having new retaining walls put here in a week or two, so she will have to be relocated to a safer spot. I hope I can move her without scaring her away. She is definitely a female, so I'm hoping for a couple of egg sacks to populate my backyard. The former owners of our house were of the "better living through chemicals" type, so I've had a long wait for the ecosystem around our house to start returning to normal.

I found this guy on the back porch. He looks like a wolf spider, but wolf spiders don't usually make webs, so I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe he's just a homebody who doesn't like the travelling lifestyle?
I also found a really beautiful green lynx spider yesterday, in an adorably perfect little web in one of my rosebushes, but by the time I went out this morning with my camera, he was gone.

2 comments:

crystal said...

ohmy! you're crazy! I have spiderwebs on my sideview mirrors everyday when I go to my car and then when I drive they get knocked down... and then they're back the next day.

It freaks me out.

Anonymous said...

Orb-weavers are very cool. I remember I used to see big, shimmering, perfectly symmetrical dew-spangled webs, with big glistening black-and-yellow orbweavers in the center, in the cedar bushes in front of our house in Pennsylvania when I went to school.

I think B. was too young to have had any encounters with them, but maybe not. Perhaps, like JRR Tolkien, he had some kind of early encounter that left him with a very bad impression of big spiders?

Felix