7.04.2007

Nesting

This nesting thing is interesting. I was expecting it, but I wasn't expecting for it to be so totally unconscious that B has to point it out to me. Somehow it seemed totally normal to me to decide to paint about 6 different rooms, along with baseboards and cabinets, and to go out and purchase about 12 gallons of paint with which to do so. It also felt perfectly normal to come home from the grocery store with several family-size packages of meat after a sale. "They're for after the baby is born," I told B. It never occurred to me that 1) two people don't need 6-packs of steaks and chicken breasts 2) we don't generally eat meat that has been frozen for three months and 3) there will still be grocery stores after the baby is born. I felt kind of silly once B pointed these things out to me.

Lately, it seems that no matter where I am or what I am doing, I am restless. Despite the panicky feelings I get when I look at baby stuff, I have been feeling the need to inventory the baby clothes over and over again (usually when B isn't around to see me - I am instinctively furtive about it). I have been resisting the urge to wash everything and start folding and organizing it. Even at work I have been compulsively deleting old files from my computer and organizing my stacks of junk.

I expect it will only get worse as we get closer. According to our pregnancy journal, there are only 78 days to go.

No comments: