7.10.2007

Plants

I'm JUST SO TIRED. I can barely drag myself around to make a pretense at work and house projects lately. But I will go to the gym tonight, no matter how tired I am, because I'm starting to find my weight gain rather alarming. I know that's what is supposed to happen, but I'm starting to see numbers on the scale that I have never seen before, and I don't like it.

Anyway, on to the plants. I have two items of note.

1) This is my Mexican Bird of Paradise, finally blooming. I transplanted it from the side of the driveway a few months ago and I wasn't sure it would make it. I had cut it down to the ground, and I'm pretty sure I cut off a lot more of the roots than I should have. But this thing grows frighteningly fast. It is now taller than my mailbox and has about five of these bloom spikes.

2) I have had a rosebush on my back deck for two years now that has never bloomed. Not even once. It has always been healthy and leafy, but it just didn't make flowers. And since I bought it for $3 at HEB, I don't even know what color the blooms are supposed to be. But now there are two buds! Two! I'm so excited! It's like a Christmas present in the middle of July. I'm expecting to find out what color my rosebush is by the end of this week. I'll take a picture as soon as I can see anything.

No comments: