1.31.2008

Braising. Again.

I'm quite impressed with myself. I made a Cuban beef stew called Ropa Vieja, which means "old clothes."

It consists of flank steak braised in a tomato/beef broth on top of onions, bell peppers, garlic, and green olives and then shredded.

I loved the colorful vegetables, and the spices - oregano, rosemary, garlic, and cumin - made the whole house smell wonderful.

We ate it on corn tortillas. For the last several weeks, I have made some type of large, slow-cooked meal on Sunday and we have eaten leftovers for the first part of the week. The great thing is that most of the things I'm making - braises and soups and stews - just get better after sitting in the fridge for a day or two.

1 comment:

Laura said...

yum! I want to cook like you! Where is the orange butter?!