1.10.2007

Caution: semi-gory photo

Something happened to Sebastian. We can't even figure out what it is. He just showed up one day with a big black lump on his nose that turned out to be a scab. I did my best to wash it a little bit with very hot water, but he did not appreciate my efforts. I did manage to smear some Neosporin on it (Neosporin cures everything, did you know that?), but then I had to lock him in the guest bedroom for awhile so that Monster wouldn't lick it off (Neosporin is also irresistable to dogs, did you know that?)

Anyway, I'm going crazy trying to figure out what he did to himself. It may not look that bad in the photo, but believe me, it's nasty up close - like something gouged a dime-sized chunk out of his nose. I would blame the devil cat, except that the shape is wrong. Do dogs get leprosy? Because we have armadillos in our garden. I'm wondering if I should take him to a vet. Any theories or advice? Stinkydog?

2 comments:

J said...

How come *armadillos* don't have scabby noses and fingers that fall in their soup?

Poor Sebastian. I hope he feels better.

Stinkydog said...

I'm so glad I can be called on to ID disgusting dog things. It was an early life-goal of mine..

Anyway, it looks like maybe this might have been a cyst that abscessed. Dogs get fatty tumors/cysts all the time. Usually they're benign. Sometimes they just, um, burst (sorry, gross, I know). He could have had it and scratched at it, causing it to open and get infected or it could have just done it on its own.
If I were you, I'd want to keep an eye on it and make sure it heals OK. If it doesn't appear to be healing within a week--take him in. Also, if he starts acting lethargic at all--take him in.