1.08.2007

Me and my monkey

When I was very young, I had two stuffed animals that were very important to me. One was a one-eyed monkey named George (apparently, I was not a very creative child) and the other was a ratty teddy bear named Radar. I'm not sure what happened to Radar, although I suspect he might be somewhere in my Dad's house where I am not invited. George, however, is alive and well.

George is a mute. He cannot talk, although he is a good listener. Radar was the chatty one; Penn to George's Teller. Now that he is gone, George is unable to communicate. Somehow, it feels wrong to have one but not the other. Who were your childhood stuffed animals? Do you still have them? Is it possible that I'm wanting someone to tell me I'm not crazy for still occasionally chatting with my stuffed monkey?

3 comments:

J said...

That's a great picture.

I had a stuffed duck named "Ducky". I also had a real chicken that I named "chick-chick."

And, I had an imaginary friend named Ronnie.

Steph said...

I think it's really neat that you had a chicken, as long as you didn't have to eat it at some point. My mom has a story like that - I should try to get her to write it down for me to post.

Was Ronnie a person? I never had any human imaginary friends - all mine were animals or bugs.

J said...

Ronnie was a little boy about my age. I thought he was real, and then at some point I realized that my family couldn't see him and they were humoring me. Strange.