1.26.2007

The NPR block

Have you ever noticed that your reading falls into groups. I find myself reading books that have something in common, and then they are always grouped together in my mind. For instance, reading a bunch of Today Show book club books all together or a bunch of books written by Indian writers. Lately, I think I'm in an NPR group. Three of the books (Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and Persepolis and Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi) were much discussed on NPR, and both authors were interviewed multiple times. Also, I'm reading Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis, who is always on All Things Considered (talking about sports, I think).

Anyway, I don't feel it is worth talking about Never Let Me Go or Word Freak. However, if you haven't heard about Persepolis and Persepolis 2, you should check them out. Marjane Satrapi grew up in Iran during the revolution. These books are her autobiography in graphic novel form. It's unusual enough to see a woman writing graphic novels, but an Iranian woman? The story is funny and sad, and so are the black and white illustrations.

No comments: