8.24.2007

Words calculated to inspire terror

  • Your baby is almost ready and most likely, so are you! The only organ still to mature is the lungs. While certainly you are both growing anxious to meet, remember that each day (up to 42 weeks), that your little one stays within your womb will multiply his chances to breathe on his own.
  • If he hasn't already, this week your baby may drop into the birth canal. While breathing for mom becomes easier, walking may be the exact opposite!
  • Fat is dimpling your baby's elbows and knees, and forming creases in the neck and wrists.
  • His skin is growing smooth and, shall we say it, "baby" soft.
  • His gums are very rigid. It won't be many months before you'll see his teeth.
  • He has a fully developed pair of kidneys and his liver has begun processing some waste products.
  • Your child's average size is now 18.66 inches (47.4cm) and 5.78 pounds (2622 g). Between now and birth he will gain about an ounce a day.
  • On one hand, I'm so sick of being huge and tired and achy and not being able to do anything that I am completely ready to have this kid. On the other hand...I guess you can never be ready to have a baby. The thought it still just so overwhelming. I haven't gotten past the miracle that somehow B and I, two separate and distinct people, have created a brand new human being that has never existed on Earth before and is a combination of both of us. Babies are such a common part of life that you never really stop to try and wrap your mind around the complete weirdness of it. Also, everything is just a big unknown. I know my life is going to change forever in a few weeks, but I don't know what to expect. It's a scary feeling. But I can't wait.


    No comments: