5.21.2008

One success, one failure

This is not recipe Friday, so I'll keep it short.

The Success

I marinated a flank steak overnight last week in soy sauce, ketchup, scallions, and little bit of sesame oil. For dinner, I just plopped it on the grill, 6 minutes per side, and then sliced it up. We had it with salads, a baguette, and a bottle of Shiraz.

Simple and delicious.


The Failure

It seemed like such a great idea. Waffles. With maple syrup and bacon cooked right in. Genius right? I imagined sweet syrupy waffles with crunches of salty bacon here and there. Wow, even thinking about it makes my mouth water.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out the way I had hoped. There was not enough syrup in the batter to make it even slightly sweet or to give it a maple flavor. The bacon was too strong. Instead of crunchy bacon surprises, it was like having bacon flavored waffles. Which isn't really a bad idea, now that I think of it, but not what I was wanting. Finally, I don't think the recipe had enough oil/fat to make a good crunchy waffle. Perhaps the bacon was supposed to cover it, but I drained it and patted it all over with paper towels before adding it to the batter.

Anyway, try again Cooking Light. Great idea, bad execution.


No comments: