5.16.2008

Recipe Friday

I got this recipe out of one of my favorite mags, Cooking Light. It had some long descriptive name, but I can't remember it, and those drive me nuts anyway, so lets just call it

Roast Pork with Sauerkraut, mmmkay?

You know what? Cooking Light might be a great magazine, but their website sucks. I can't find the recipe anywhere, even though it was in the most recent issue. So I'll just do my best to remember.

1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt (it's Cooking Light, so double this if you want it to taste good*)
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 lb pork tenderloin
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup sliced onion
2 tsp sugar
2 cups drained sauerkraut
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup apricot preserves (I used peach. It's the same color.)

*why do I get a magazine devoted to making healthy recipes and then circumvent all the things that make the recipes healthy? If it calls for low-sodium broth, I use regular. If it calls for 1 tsp oil, I use 2. Anyway, carry on.
  1. Preheat the oven to 425
  2. Mix the spices together and rub all over the pork, then brown in a skillet with the olive oil for about 6 minutes.
  3. Put the pork in a greased 11 x 7 baking dish
  4. Add the onions and sugar to the pan and saute for about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the sauerkraut and saute for another 2 minutes.
  6. Arrange the sauerkraut/onion mixture around the pork.
  7. Brush the pork with 1/3 of the preserves and then pour the water on the sauerkraut.
  8. Roast for 15 minutes, then brush 1/3 of the preserves on the pork.
  9. Roast for 15 minutes, then brush the remaining 1/3 of the preserves on the pork.
  10. Roast for another 10 minutes, until internal temperature is 160.
  11. Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes before carving.
Verdict: yummy. The sweetness of the peaches balanced out the sour cabbage perfectly. I will definitely be making this again, maybe even with apricots, although B thought it was weird that there was fruit in his sauerkraut. But that didn't stop him from going back for seconds. And he didn't even complain when we had leftovers last night.

BTW, have you noticed that everything I make lately is coming out really well? I would like to think it's because I'm a damn good cook, but I think I've just gotten a lot better at picking out good recipes. And because I'm a damn good cook.

Tonight, I am going to grill a flank steak that I started marinating last night. If it's yummy, I'll take pictures. If not, I'll pretend it never happened.

Oh yeah, and here is Saul. Still cute, still recovering, still managing to get himself tangled up in his toys approximately every 3 minutes.

3 comments:

Bimbo said...

I remeber that recipe, its Pork Chops with an Apricot Glaze and Sauerkraut or something like that! It looks delicious!!!

XOXOXO

Drew Lindsey said...

Hey Its Drew :)
Didnt get to see you when you came down a cpl weeks ago. But I read ur blogs alot so I figured I'd make one to keep in touch with you and becky and aunt cristy :)

Steph said...

Hey Drew, I'm sorry I missed you too! Send me your URL when you get your blog going and I'll post a link.

:)