8.15.2006

But wait, it's only Tuesday!

Happiness

A man and a woman lie on a white bed.
It is morning. I think
Soon they will waken.
On the bedside table is a vase
of lilies; sunlight
pools in their throats.
I watch him turn to her
as though to speak her name
but silently, deep in her mouth--
At the window ledge,
once, twice,
a bird calls.
And then she stirs; her body
fills with his breath.

I open my eyes; you are watching me.
Almost over this room
the sun is gliding.
Look at your face, you say,
holding your own close to me
to make a mirror.
How calm you are. And the burning wheel
passes gently over us.

Louise Gluck

This doesn't really fit with my mood right now, but I liked it and was afraid I would forget to post it if I waited until Thursday. Anyway, it's not like I am going to run out of Lousie Gluck poems to post. The good news, however, is that I am almost finished with her fourth book of poetry, and I'm planning to take a break and read some other poets after that.

I'm feeling very prickly today, like all of my porcupine spines are out. That is especially bad today because I have a consultation with an oral surgeon this afternoon about getting my wisdom teeth taken out, and I already have a long history of altercations with those in the dental profession. I am not very patient with people who stick sharp objects in my mouth. Also, tomorrow I will see Chloe for the first time since school let out. She doesn't know what happened to the baby, and I am still getting drawings from her in which an arrow pointing at my stomach is prominently labeled BABY. I am dreading the conversation we will have, and all the questions I will have to answer. It's already a very difficult subject for me, and nine year olds aren't generally known for their tact and conversation skills.

Okay, now I'm rambling. Back to work.

No comments: