5.23.2007

Baby update

Right now:
  • Proportions of the body are now quite similar to a newborn although thinner since he hasn't begun to form body fat.
  • Bones located in the middle ear harden.
  • Your baby is able to hear.
  • The eyes are formed, though the iris still lacks pigmentation.
  • The pancreas, essential in the production of hormones, is developing steadily. He has begun producing insulin, important for the breakdown of sugars.
  • If born now, your baby has a 15% chance of survival, his odds going up with each passing day. .
  • The average baby at this stage weighs 1.1 pound and is 11.38 inches long.
All of a sudden, it seems like everything is going much faster than I'm entirely comfortable with. We have a pregnancy journal that has a day by day update of what is going on with me and the baby. We read the days entry each evening before going to sleep. A few days ago, the book said that it was time to sign up for childbirth classes and hospital tours. For some reason, that completely freaked me out and I've been feeling panicky for the last few days because of all the things that have to be done.

My next checkup is tomorrow - I think this is the one where I have to do a glucose test for gestational diabetes. I think that means drinking a glass full of sugar water and then hanging around for an hour to get blood drawn. Not very exciting. I'm almost to the point where I start going in every two weeks instead of every four, and that is just one more milestone to make me get nervous.

No comments: