5.16.2007

New pet?

Over the weekend, while pulling weeds, B noticed an interesting hole in one of our flower beds. We speculated about whether a snake lived in it and then forgot about it. Then yesterday morning, when B came back from his morning run, he found a Texas brown tarantula on the driveway. Unfortunately, I was not there to see it. If I had, I would have lots of beautiful pictures to post. Instead, here is a picture from the internet, verified by B to look just like what he saw:

B says that it was "the size of a cd." This morning, I went out looking for him, but I couldn't find anything. I am working on figuring out ways to lure him out - maybe an offering of crickets and/or grasshoppers near his hole? I am hoping for a long residence and lots of baby spiders in August. I thought I might even see about keeping him as a pet, but B objects to all carnivorous bugs, and especially spiders. I know he is indulging me by not pouring our scorpion killer spray all over my garden.

I'm hoping that I might see him tonight - if so, I will try to catch him for a brief photo session (I know B, I'll keep him outside) before putting him back in his hole.

Does anyone know if there is a conflict between anoles and tarantulas? I would hate for one of my new pets to eat the other one.

No comments: