3.31.2006

Reading

I just finished Ship of Fools by Katherine Ann Porter, and I wasn't impressed. There wasn't a single likeable or sympathetic character and the (plotless) narrative dragged on and on. The themes of nationalism were heavily drawn and overdone. I'm not sure why I finished it, except that I feel bad criticizing a book unless I have. Am I missing something? Has anyone else read this book? Liked it? I vaguely remember it being on a list of books I could choose to do a book report on in 10th grade, but I'm not sure. Somehow, I can't imagine a teenager ploughing all the way through that much nonsense.

1 comment:

Le Plume said...

many people would agree with you on that one - although a book certainly doesn't need to feature a likeable character to be good. Interesting ones might help, though.