3.22.2007

Chloe

I guess I haven't talked about Chloe for awhile. A few weeks ago, she found out that her parents were getting a divorce and her mom was taking the three kids with her to Killeen. Next week. In a way I'm relieved. I got the strong impression that her dad was not a great role model and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for her to get away from him and all the fighting. Also, at 10 years old now, her problems are getting to a point where I don't think I can be much help anymore. She's at an age where it's no longer considered cool to have a mentor, and despite her being excited to see me every week, I know she gets some teasing from the other kids.

However, it's hard for any kid to switch schools in the middle of the school year, and especially a very shy, self-conscious kid like Chloe. Plus, as I know from experience, living through your parents' nasty divorce is a miserable, confusing time.

I gave Chloe my address, phone number, and email, so I expect to hear from her a lot. I also told her that I would still keep our date to see the new Harry Potter movie in July, although driving to Killeen in July when I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant will not be much fun.

B always tells me that I worry too much. I just hope she does okay. She's got some hard times coming and I wish I could help make it easier.

No comments: