3.07.2007

Top Secret Construction Project

Clues:

1. I've been nauseous for the last three months
2. I've started taking two-three naps per day
3. I have an overwhelming desire for corn dogs and strawberries

Anyone want to take a guess?

Yup, that's right, we're trying again. I have a different doctor, and things just feel better this time. I'm at the end of my first trimester and I've already had three sonograms and so many blood tests that I look like a heroin addict.

This morning, I had a screening for Downs Syndrome. The screening was optional, but I chose to do it because it involved a sonogram, and I am all for seeing proof of life every chance I get. As soon as the technician turned the machine on, I blurted out "where is the heartbeat?" She replied "I'll show you as soon as he quits turning somersaults."

We never got to see our last baby moving. By the time we had a second sonogram his heart had already quit beating. So this was a new experience for me. It was incredible to see this tiny human being doing somersaults and bouncing up and down and playing with his fingers and toes. Just remembering makes me want to cry. I think this baby is going to live. We are so lucky.

8 comments:

crystal said...

I'm so excited for you, B, and your baby! Congratulations.

Stinkydog said...

oh wow wow wow. I think I started reading your blog during the last time and your heartbreaking honesty and ability to express what you were going through was what made me a regular reader. I'm so happy for you!

Here's to lots more somersaults!! (soft gentle ones that don't give you tummy aches)

Yayy!

J said...

Fabulous! I'm very happy for you.

Big celebrating going on in my chair.

OkieRev said...

Oh... Steph... FAH-BU-LOUS!
and incredible that we can just look at that online.
I love technology.
T

OkieRev said...

Oh.. and corndogs and strawberries
together? or at different times?
Tamara

Steph said...

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. I am terrible at keeping secrets, so waiting until now has been torturing me!

Tamara - I haven't actually had any corndogs (yet). B is extremely opposed to what he calls "fried hot dogs." But the thought of a couple of corndogs smothered in mustard with a side dish of strawberries is making me drool.

:)

Annie in Austin said...

What a great image to see on your blog - and how wonderful to hear that you are expecting a baby, and that all is well.

If you'd left up that boxwood you'd have had trouble fitting through the tunnel by late summer - especially if the corndog craving is long term.

Strawberry festivals are on the horizon.

Gardenblogging Annie

Anonymous said...

I am so proud for you. I am going to be a great Aunt :)
I love you
Aunt Nipper