3.19.2007

Rufus update - food edition

I'm so glad that I am pregnant and therefore have an excuse to obsess over all kinds of food without anyone thinking I'm too weird.

I finally gave in last week and had a corn dog over B's objections. And I've eaten enough strawberries to make me sick several times over.

My latest cravings are for pickled okra and grilled cheese sandwiches. All I have to say about pickled okra is thank god I live in a place where such a delicacy is readily available.

Grilled cheese, however...

I have had a love-hate relationship with grilled cheese sandwiches for my entire life. As a kid, I couldn't stand American cheese, and I still can't. Nor did I particularly like gooey white bread that stuck to the roof of my mouth. Unfortunately, that was all that was available then. So I was an adult before I rediscovered grilled cheeses that came on Italian bread and focacia and ciabatta and baguettes with cheddar and gouda and provolone and gruyere. Not to mention extras like tomatoes, mustard, bacon, cucumbers, ham, and onions. And the day I found out about croque monsieurs was a very happy one. I am positive that one could live happily on grilled cheese sandwiches for years and never get bored.

Since this weekend, when I wrote out my grocery list, I have been planning my grilled cheese ingredients for this week. Right now, I'm thinking I will stay fairly classic, with french bread, sharp cheddar, Dijon mustard, and possibly grilled onions. If I remember, I will take a picture of my creation before it gets eaten. In the meantime, here is a wonderful site to browse for grilled cheese recipes.

3 comments:

Paul said...

That cheese made me feel so hungry

Stinkydog said...

Ok, I'm not one to tout Rachel Ray, but she had one in her last magazine that was granny smith apples (thinly sliced), bacon (thickly sliced) and melted cheddar on a multigrain bread that sounded absolutely deeee-lish.

and also, I hate white bread, too. always have.

Steph said...

Oh god, that sounds so good. It is both a blessing and a curse to spend most of my life above a grocery store where I can indulge almost any craving I might have.

I mean, as long as the craving doesn't involve any artificial colors, preservatives, flavors, trans-fats, etc. If I want some Twinkies, I'm pretty much out of luck.