3.02.2007

Movie review

Last night, we went for an outing to see Pan's Labyrinth at Alamo. I knew the movie had gotten great reviews, and I had heard nothing but good things about it. So I was not expecting the level of graphic violence depicted. A quick scroll through Rotten Tomatoes shows that no reviewers felt it necessary to give warning. Granted that I am a wuss who can't handle more violence than is in the typical Disney animation, this was still a little much. I feel like I am doing a public service here. Do not go see this movie unless you can handle:

A depiction of a woman having a very bloody miscarriage
Someone pounding someone else's face with a broken wine bottle
Many people being shot at point blank range
A person having a gangrenous leg sawed off
The immediate results of vicious and cruel torture, including a closeup of a hand that might have been cut open with a blunt object and an ice pick (I didn't look long enough to be sure)
Someone having a knife stuck in their mouth and then their cheek sliced open
Above person sewing his cheek back together
A child being shot

This was not an upbeat movie. It was beautiful and dark and engaging. The story was well-written, and the ending was very well done. But the violence was just too much.

*note* I usually love the food at Alamo, but I thought the ribeye chili last night had a funny after taste, and my salad was a little limp and had too much dressing. Also, the buffalo chicken salad (lettuce, tomatoes, buffalo chicken strips, celery, and blue cheese dressing) is no longer on the menu. Grrr.

*another note* When we came out of the theater, some kind of cross-promotion was going on between Scion and some Reno 911 thing. There were a ton of pimped out xBs around the theater, and someone had kindly left an invitation on my windshield to join the local Scion enthusiasts club. Do cool people drive Scions? Because aside from myself, the two people I know who drive them are my friend Eric (who recently lent me his well-worn Star Trek: TNG dvd collection), and the (IT guy) husband from the couple that have nerd game night with me and B. Just saying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were the Scion xBs roped off, or were they just in the parking lot? Scion and Scion dealers have been known to do movie release events where they provide free tickets to Scion owners...

Annie in Austin said...

Steph, when I read this Austin blog I was pretty sure that Pan's Labyrinth would be too rough for me:
www.zanthan.com/wordsintobytes/

I still do want to see Children of Men.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Steph said...

Scion person - the cars were not roped off, but they were lined up neatly around the entrance and were unnaturally clean and shiny. I'm all for getting free stuff just for driving my car.

Annie - I want to see Children of Men too. The other blog you pointed me to seems to imply that it's not nearly as graphic as Pan's Labyrinth, so I feel much more confident about it.

Anonymous said...

Nerd games are cool!

Pan's Labyrinth does have plenty of violent scenes, but to tell the truth I didn't object to them because I was so interested in the mythic and allegorical aspects of the story. And, of course, the fantastic effects.

Children of Men also has plenty of violence, sad to say. There are parts of it which are reminiscent of the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan, as certain characters get caught up in guerrilla-style ambushes and a fullscale military assault on an urban area. However, the latter is not as personalized as some of the bloody scenes you mentioned from Pans Labyrinth. To me, the story made it worthwhile, and the violence was necessary to show the changes that had come over the human race's collective psyche as a result of the end of human fertility: pervasive despair, fatalism, fanaticism, etc.

Felix